Local History

'A crowded horse omnibus outside the Old Bull's Head Hotel in Church St Eccles, in 1872'' (Courtesy of Salford Local History Library)

A crowded horse omnibus outside the Old Bull’s Head Hotel in Church St Eccles, in 1872” (Taken from the Salford Local History Library Collection)

Convenor: Christine Whitefoot, 0161 789 1178

Leader: Mark Child, 0161 478 7643

Venue and Time: We normally meet at 1.30-3.30pm on alternate Wednesdays at Eccles Gateway. But for 16th Jan 2019, it is St Andrew’s church hall, Chadwick Rd. Recent members should check with the convenor whether space is limited.

The main focus of the group is nineteenth and early twentieth century history of the Salford and Manchester region. We have a few invited talks but most topics are presented by the members of the group. Some present materials that they have researched , others introduce the discussion by reading articles on items of forgotten local history.

Recent topics include ‘Haigh Hall’ at Wigan, ‘Queen Victoria’s 1851 visit to Worsley’, ‘Salford Pals’ and ‘Irwell valley coal mines’. The group has also visited the following historical sites over the recent years: Ordsall Hall; Eccles Parish Church; All Saints Church Barton; Chetham’s Library and School; Styal Village and Quarry Bank Mill; the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum and Erddig Hall; and the Moravian Settlement in Droylsden.

*Local history group photo now on Gallery page: Gallery

Also of interest ‘Cottonopolis’: Greater Manchester U3A network booklet:  cottonopolis booklet

Please contact Christine for further information.

Past members of the group have researched and published a variety of books, which are listed below. Present members have recently completed a book entitled ‘A Brief History of Travel in Eccles, Barton and Patricroft since 1628’ which covers many of the events of the eighteenth and nineteenth century travel revolution, all within a few square miles of Lancashire. Click on the ‘Travel History’ link below for further information.

Travel History Booklet by Mark Child

Existing publications researched and published by the Group are:

  1. ‘Church St Eccles’ by Helen Whickham and other group members.
  2. ‘A walk around Barton’ by Doreen and Eddie Rowbotham.
  3. ‘Industrial History of Eccles’ by Ronald Britton
  4. ‘A Chronological History of Eccles’ by Doreen Rowbottom
  5. ‘Treasures of Eccles, Past and Present’ by Doreen Rowbottom
  6. ‘Pendleton: the Rise and Fall of a Northern Township’ by Don Lingard.
  7. ‘A Brief History of Travel in Eccle, Barton and Patricroft since 1628’ by Mark Child
Salford U3A Local History programme 2019
Eccles Gateway, alternate Wednesdays, 1.30-3.30 pm
Convenor: Christine Whitefoot    789 1178.
Date name subject
02-Jan holiday
16-Jan Mark Child James Brindley (venue: St Andrew’s church
Hall, Chadwick Rd)
23-Jan Christmas lunch Alberts (2 courses £12.50) 12.00noon
30-Jan mill historians mill histories
13-Feb Brian Briggs (guest speaker) Gallipoli
27-Feb Irene Barlow Church St Eccles
13-Mar Hazel and Marlene Walker Stories of Lancashire mill girls
27-Mar Sheila Thomas Swinton Lions Rugby Club
10-Apr George Waterhouse Salford Breweries
24-Apr Chistine Whitefoot Pendlebury riots
08-May David Roberts Manchester Engineers
22-May TBA Alan Corbett
05-Jun David Pease Building of the Ship Canal
19-Jun Dr Mike Neville ‘History and Archaeology of New Bailey Prison’
03-Jul outing
17-Jul Rick McGarry TBA
31-Jul Barbara Briggs and Andrew Scutt Eccles Cinemas
14-Aug holiday
28-Aug holiday
11-Sep Barbara Ashe People behind Ellesmere Park street names
25-Sep Christine Whitefoot The Clifton Hall Disaster
09-Oct outing
23-Oct Anne McGarry Life and work at Granada TV during the early years 1959-1966
06-Nov Brenda and Margaret Carr Tug Barges and Me
20-Nov George Waterhouse Salford Bridges
04-Dec Mark Child John and Thomas Gilbert
19-Dec holiday

 

2018 Local HistoryProgramme