Local History

'A crowded horse omnibus outside the Old Bull's Head Hotel in Church St Eccles, in 1872'' (Courtesy of Salford Local History Library)

‘A crowded horse omnibus outside the Old Bull’s Head Hotel in Church St Eccles, in 1872” (Taken from the Salford Local History Library Collection)

Convenor: Christine Whitefoot, 0161 789 1178

Leader: Mark Child, 0161 478 7643

Venue and Time: We meet at 1.30-3.30pm on alternate Wednesdays at Eccles Gateway. Recent members should check with the convenor whether space is limited.

The main focus of the group is nineteenth and early twentieth century history of the Salford and Manchester region. We have a few invited talks but most topics are presented by the members of the group. Some present materials that they have researched , others introduce the discussion by reading articles on items of forgotten local history.

Recent topics include ‘Haigh Hall’ at Wigan, ‘Queen Victoria’s 1851 visit to Worsley’, ‘Salford Pals’ and ‘Irwell valley coal mines’. The group has also visited the following historical sites over the recent years: Ordsall Hall; Eccles Parish Church; All Saints Church Barton; Chetham’s Library and School; Styal Village and Quarry Bank Mill; the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum and Erddig Hall; and the Moravian Settlement in Droylsden.

Also of interest ‘Cottonopolis’: Greater Manchester U3A network booklet:  cottonopolis booklet

Please contact Christine for further information.

Past members of the group have researched and published a variety of books, which are listed below. Present members have recently completed a book entitled ‘A Brief History of Travel in Eccles, Barton and Patricroft since 1628’ which covers many of the events of the eighteenth and nineteenth century travel revolution, all within a few square miles of Lancashire. Click on the ‘Travel History’ link below for further information.

Travel History Booklet by Mark Child

Existing publications researched and published by the Group are:

  1. ‘Church St Eccles’ by Helen Whickham and other group members.
  2. ‘A walk around Barton’ by Doreen and Eddie Rowbotham.
  3. ‘Industrial History of Eccles’ by Ronald Britton
  4. ‘A Chronological History of Eccles’ by Doreen Rowbottom
  5. ‘Treasures of Eccles, Past and Present’ by Doreen Rowbottom
  6. ‘Pendleton: the Rise and Fall of a Northern Township’ by Don Lingard.
  7. ‘A Brief History of Travel in Eccle, Barton and Patricroft since 1628’ by Mark Child

 

Salford U3A Local History programme 2018
Eccles Gateway, alternate Wednesdays, 1.30-3.30 pm

*    indicates space limited to pre August 2017 members

Convenor: Christine Whitefoot   789 1178.
Date name subject
03-Jan Mark Child John Dalton
10-Jan Christmas lunch Albert’s, East Lancs Rd/ Kildare St, 12.30pm
17-Jan round table All
31-Jan Rick McGarry Cross Lane
14-Feb George Waterhouse Irlams O’ Th’ Heights
28-Feb Betty Baker History of Monton Unitarian Church*
14-Mar Hazel Walker and Marlene Walker Tales of Manchester Jewry*
28-Mar Alan Corbett Lancs United Transport/South Lancs Tramways*
11-Apr Chris Whitefoot Victorian Worsley
25-Apr Andrew Scutt Victoria Baths
09-May Sheila Thomas Eccles Rugby Union Club*
23-May Rick McGarry Electricity in Manchester*
06-Jun June Lomas and Sue Drake Salford Pubs and Pub Names
20-Jun outing Transport Museum & Portico Library?
04-Jul Mark Child Yorkshire and Lancashire railway
18-Jul Barbara Briggs and Andrew Scutt Patricroft Methodist Church*
01-Aug holiday
15-Aug holiday
29-Aug holiday
12-Sep Chris Whitefoot Pilkington’s Tile Factory* Notable Salford Families*
26-Sep Anne McGarry Notable Salford Families*
10-Oct outing
24-Oct George Waterhouse and David Pease Archeology in Salford*
07-Nov Brenda and Margaret Carr TBA
21-Nov Irene Barlow Church Street, Eccles.
05-Dec
19-Dec holiday

2017 Local HistoryProgramme